Home > Inheritance & Trusts > Establishing An Inheritance Tax Trust

Establishing An Inheritance Tax Trust

By: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 21 Nov 2012 | comments*Discuss
Inheritance Tax Iht Trust Liability Tax

Inheritance Tax has become a major political issue again in recent times. The precipitous fall in property prices rendered Inheritance Tax (IHT) somewhat irrelevant; as the values of houses fell, so too did the number of people affected by the tax. However, IHT looks set to be a focus for the point-scoring amongst politicians again, as house prices increase and more families are caught out.

Nil Rate Band

Inheritance Tax can be a very costly proposition. In 2008, the Chancellor announced that married couples and those in civil partnerships would be able to pass their Inheritance Tax allowance, known as the nil-rate band, onto their spouse or partner. This effectively means that the allowance for the surviving spouse is doubled. It is currently set at £312,000 for an individual, or £624,000 if it is passed on. This may seem like a huge amount of money, but once the value of the family home is factored in, along with any other assets, tens of thousands of households are threatened.

Forward planning is vital if you are to ensure that your assets are passed on to your beneficiaries, rather than the tax man. Trusts are an important tool in the fight against the 40 per cent tax.

In the past, financial advisors would advocate the use of a Nil-Rate Band Discretionary Trust to minimise an Inheritance Tax liability when passing assets between spouses or civil partners. However, since the Chancellor’s announcement these are no longer necessary for this purpose. It is worth remembering, though, that Nil-Rate Band Discretionary Trusts are still of use if you have a particularly large estate (that is, over a value of £624,000) and you are concerned about the tax bill that could be suffered by your spouse’s beneficiaries.

Testamentary Trusts

Trusts are also particularly useful if you are not married or in a civil partnership. In these cases the doubling of the nil-rate band will not be of benefit to you. As such, a trust is amongst the best options for ensuring that your beneficiaries do not suffer. Discretionary trusts are generally used in these circumstances; they offer a lot of flexibility as the trustees, nominated by you, can make decisions regarding the disbursement of the assets. This adds an extra layer of protection, because effectively chosen trustees should be well versed in your wishes, and willing to carry them out.

The process of setting up a trust is relatively easy. Many trusts are established through a will; these ‘testamentary trusts’ use the will itself as the trust instrument, and are actually set up, in a legal sense, upon the death of the settlor (that is, the individual establishing the trust). It is possible to do this yourself when you write your will. However, it is vitally important that the document is specifically worded in order to ensure that the trust is legally valid. As such, it is generally recommended that prospective settlors take professional advice.

Inheritance Tax is a potentially very burdensome for your beneficiaries. However, with some forethought and a little work, there is no reason that your dependants need suffer at the hands of the tax man.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Francis
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    Afriend of mine lend me money a month ago.He suddenly died a few days ago.Do I still need to pay the money back.Ther was no…
    16 July 2018
  • Nat
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    A friend lent me £10,000 we wrote something down ourselves and I signed and dated it. I would pay him monthly. He died…
    12 July 2018
  • VivK
    Re: Will Inheritance Affect My Council Tenancy?
    I have just inherited a bungalow in a different county from where I live and work. Will I be able to sell this…
    13 June 2018
  • InheritanceIssues
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    Tutti - Your Question:Hi my friend gave me £20,000 and didn’t want me to pay her back however I insisted I made payments.…
    16 May 2018
  • Tutti
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    Hi my friend gave me £20,000 and didn’t want me to pay her back however I insisted I made payments. She made a will and told…
    15 May 2018
  • Loanandinhertitance
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    mother and father put a £40000 loan on the house they transferred/sold to brother. This was done formally in writing to be…
    27 March 2018
  • InheritanceIssues
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    Alice Yelland - Your Question:My godfather wants to loan me £30,000, at a low interest rate of 1% per annum. He is elderly,…
    20 March 2018
  • Alice Yelland
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    My godfather wants to loan me £30,000, at a low interest rate of 1% per annum. He is elderly, so what happens when he dies?…
    18 March 2018
  • Bishop
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    I was wondering what would be the best way to find out if someone (individual or company) has taken, claimed or received…
    15 February 2018
  • InheritanceIssues
    Re: Money Owed to and by the Deceased
    RASH - Your Question:I gave my mother nearly £25,000 about 20 years ago to buy a share in her flat. Now she has died how do…
    20 December 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the InheritanceIssues website. Please read our Disclaimer.